Monday 17 September 2012

Freezer Cooking - Shepard's Pie

Dinner
You've just come home from work, you forgot to take something out this morning and have a million other things to accomplish - so you do it, you reach for takeout. My dad always made Shepard's Pie growing up, I hated it, so when I got older I decided to give it another try the way I thought it should taste.

Shepard's Pie - Yields 4 x 3LB Dishes @ $4.25/dish 
(Feeds 3 adults or a wife and her hungry hubby)

Ingredients:
3lbs. Lean Ground Beef
3 Cans of Creamed Corn
14 Medium Red Potatoes, peeled
3/4c. Milk
3tbsp Butter
1 Head Garlic, minced
2 Packages 'Shepard's Pie' Seasoning
1 Medium Yellow Onion, minced - (optional)
2c. Shredded Cheese (optional)

Directions:
1. Brown ground beef, when almost cooked add seasoning mixes and onion and simmer until beef is thoroughly cooked (do not drain the beef during this step).
I use Clubhouse's Shepard's Pie mix, but you can use any seasonings you like, even Taco Seasoning!

2. While browning beef, boil potatoes.
3. Drain potatoes and add milk, butter and garlic. (I use my Cuisinart Mixer and paddle attachment to create smooth mashed potatoes).
4. Layer meat, cream corn and potatoes in dishes. (If you want to add cheese, add on top of meat layer).


5. Label and place in freezer. (I also label the side of my dishes, you'll see why when this week of cooking comes to a close).

To Reheat: Remove lid, place on baking sheet. Cook at 350 for 1hr 10min.
*Remove side label before cooking.






No comments:

Post a Comment