Thursday 20 September 2012

Getting Me Back - Jar'd Salad

Before I found out I was pregnant I went through surgery to reduce the size of my 'ladies' to continue on my weight loss journey; before the surgery I had lost 30lbs without dropping an ounce from that area - most women would be elated by this fact but my back was breaking and I couldn't handle it anymore. On November 7, 2011 I had my reduction surgery with hopes of being recovered by January and jumping back into my weight loss/getting healthy endeavor once I  returned to the routine of going to work and had my life back. However, on December 6, 2011 after feeling ill for a week a visit to my doctor ended in the ultimate surprise, life was not coming back to the way I knew it, I was 6 weeks pregnant. So there went the plans of losing any more weight, in fact I was to head in the opposite direction. Well 34lbs and 9 months later and I was in the hospital preparing for Anderson to arrive. When he made his appearance he took 19lbs and forgot 15lbs (not too shabby for having a 5lb 13oz baby), but now 7 1/2 weeks later I need to jump back on the wagon. 

Most of us decide not to eat healthy because A) it takes effort, B) it takes time, C) we're lazy - at least I know those are my reasons; but what if reaching for a salad was just as easy as reaching for chips (or some delicious 'Go-To Cookies') so I purchased a few of my favorite veggies and a case of Mason Jars and decided to find the time to make a salad... well 12.

Jar'd Salad - Yields 12 500mL Mason Jars
Ingredients:
3 Heads Romaine Lettuce
1 Long English Cucumber
1 Bunch Celery
4 Carrots, grated
1 Container Cherry Tomatoes

Directions:
1. Chop and divide all your veggies - you can add any that you like (mushrooms are not recommended as they can become toxic when placed into a closed container without being cooked). I also decided not to put any red onion as I thought the flavor would become overpowering once you got to the last jars.



2. Layer in jar, I put my lettuce down first as none of the vegetables I included are 'juicy'. After reading a few comments I will be putting my lettuce on top next time. 


Serve as a side to your dinner, pack it in your lunch or just have as a snack. All you need to do is add your favorite dressing and give it a shake!


2 comments:

  1. Love this idea Val, and have been wanting to try it myself, let me know how it "preserves" as I've wondered how the 12th salad would taste...it would probably take us a few days to get to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will do! I actually just had the first one today and it tasted really fresh, so I'm anxious to see how the 12th one is as well!

      Delete